We talk a lot about protein, and rightly so. It will help you build and repair muscle, so it works with ANY fitness goal. We can all list off sources that we enjoy and probably have a good idea on how to cook them. But what goes with it?
I'm a big fan of roasting veg!
Primarily for the following reasons.
- It doesn't require fine chopping, making it quick and easy to prepare.
- Its provides me with key nutrients.
- It tastes awesome.
It only takes a few ingredients
- Red Onion
- Mixed Peppers
- New Potatoes
- Olive Oil
This dish contains a good source of
- Carbohydrate (Potatoes)
- Fibrous Vegetables (Peppers and Onion)
- Fat (Oil)
The portions of each ingredient will determine if the meal will be ideal for a fat loss or muscle gain goal - it depends on the person, and what they want to achieve. I prefer to go by eye, but some may prefer to weigh and log macronutrients.
- Chop up all of your veg roughly, quarter the potatoes and crush the garlic.
- Mix with the oil and season, making sure you coat everything.
- Roast at 180-200 for approx half an hour!
Doesn't get much easier than that.
Tastes good hot or cold and is really easy to cook in bulk.
Another great thing about this is how easy it is to add variety.
Typically speaking, the above meal goes best with chicken or fish. Some sources you need to cook separately, and some you can rest on the veg before it goes in the oven (cooking times will vary).
You can also substitute different vegetable and carbohydrate sources. Even add spices and herbs for a different taste. Experiment and enjoy!